Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

"Have You Met Miss Smith? She's My Best Friend."

"You must complete your mission for the Time Lords!"
This 28mm metal model of Plucky Assistant B is from code SKU: MINI 206 by “Crooked Dice Game Design Studio” and makes for a wonderful proxy of Sarah Jane Smith, the popular plucky reporter who accompanied the Doctor during the 1976 British Science Fiction television program “Doctor Who And The Seeds of Doom”. The miniature was initially given an undercoat of “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey and then had her denim jeans and top washed with “Citadel” Asurmen Blue. The assistant’s shoes and hair were painted using a combination of “Vallejo” Heavy Sienna and “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade.

Having viewed several different paint schemes for her blouse, including some impressive looking plaid patterns, I eventually decided upon a nice simple “Vallejo” White base coat, which I then washed with some watered-down “Citadel” Nuln Oil. I had wanted to try and make the garment look a little greyer than I normally paint. But unfortunately the Shade didn’t pool or dry in some areas as well as in others, so the end result is disappointingly murky in places. Sarah Jane is something of a late Zomtober submission, as I’ll be using her as a ‘Survivor’ for my forthcoming remake of “Doctor Who And The Seeds of Doom” using the “Zombicide” rule-set.
Crossbowman WIP - This plastic model is absolutely covered in weapons, armour and equipment
This month as part of Mo’vember I’m trying to paint enough miniatures by “North Star Military Figures” to use as a warband for “Frostgrave”. My enthusiasm for this project has somewhat increased over the past few days as my “Thaw Of The Lich Lord” ‘Nickstarter’ expansion has arrived. As a result I’m trying to get my original selection of models painted as quickly as I can. Although I’m finding them all rather tough going, as the sculpts are all packed full of fiddly tiny details.

I have also been a little underwhelmed by the quality of the game’s official “Frostgrave Soldiers” twenty multi-part hard plastic 28mm figure boxed set. But have found my fervor for this particular Crossbowman renewed by both adding lots of extra bits and pieces to the original model and through giving the figure some additional heft as a result of supergluing some lead pieces to the underneath of its base; there’s just something about painting a weighty model which you just can’t beat in my humble opinion.
Shug McClure WIP - The miniature isn't too far away from gracing the tabletop
 Lastly I have been pottering away on my “Warlords Of Atlantis” mini-project, and have almost finished this cracking sculpt by “Antediluvian Miniatures”. Clearly inspired by the 1976 movie “At The Earth’s Core” and the actor Doug McClure, I hope to have Shug based and varnished very soon.

Post a Comment

0 Comments